Monday, September 19, 2022

Check Point: R80.10 Install

Check Point: R80.10 Install

I did another install of a Check Point firewall on a 4600 today.  Check Point is a good product, right up there with Palo Alto.  When considering your firewall replacement, these two are the front runners.

Inside the 4600:


Check Point Firewall: Adding A User In CLI

Here is a quick "how to" on adding a user in Check Point via command line (CLI).  It just as easy to go into the GUI and do this, but I have found that when I'm in CLI anyway and need to do this, this is a quick template for me. 

add user NewUserName uid 0 homedir /home/NewUserName
set user NewUserName gid 100 shell /etc/cli.sh
set user NewUserName password
(then you will verify the password you just typed in)
add rba user NewUserName roles adminRole (for adding an administrator)
save config


Firewall: Difference Between "fw mon", "zdebug" And "TCPDump"

I've decided that there is just some documentation that is missing on a few topics. The difference between these Check Point commands (fw monitor, zdebug, and tcpdump) is something that needs some explaining. I'm putting this together and will have this one up in a few days.  Stay tuned...


Check Point Firewall: Modifying The FWKERN.CONF File To Overcome Dropped Packets From The Queue Buffer

Here recently, I had a server guy come to me and tell me that he needed some network help to get an issue of his resolved.  Long story short, his NetApp replication from one site to another was failing, and he couldn't find anything wrong in his configuration to solve the issue.  After troubleshooting the firewall and network from my perspective, I didn't see anything wrong either.  This, needless to say, did not help him out any.

However, after further review, I found that the reason I didn't see anything in my firewall logs was because it wasn't making it to the Check Point application itself.  There actually were dropped packets, just at the OS level.  This took some time to troubleshoot, but what we found was that the queue limit buffer was getting too much traffic and was dropping packets.

So, what did we do?  Well, the default queue limit is set to 2048 by default (in Gaia on the Check Point appliances).  We wanted to up that limit to 8196, since we had plenty of memory to do so (don't do this unless you know for sure you have plenty of resources, as this may not resolve your issue).  In this case, my CPU (CPU #1) was consistently hitting 100% utilization.  So, time to edit the fwkern.conf file.

After logging into Check Point in CLI, and going into expert mode, I then went to /var/opt/fw.boot/modules directory.  There, the fwkern.conf file resides.  I went into VI editor and put in the following:

fwmultik_input_queue_len = 8196


After coming out of VI editor and rebooting the HA cluster, everything worked well and his NetApp issue was resolved.  No more dropped packets from the buffer and CPU down to 10%.  To check what your setting is at, do the following:

[Expert@CheckPoint:0]# fw -i k ctl get int fwmultik_input_queue_len

fwmultik_input_queue_len = 2048